1 Jul 2014

4C HAIR FRUSTRATIONS

My, there have been days where I have wanted to break down and cry on my wash days (forgetting that I only ever handle this hair properly every 30 days). Yesterday was one of them. I had to stop halfway, with one half of my hair twisted up and the rest to go. I couldn't do it anymore. I was just frustrated. And as usual, I call up Lisa and express how badly I want to texturise these kinks because its all too much. I had a photoshoot and during the make-over, my hair hand to be converted into a voluminous afro. Pain! So much tangles. No matter what you do with this hair, tangles and shed hair are constantly sticking their tongues out at you.
  • Detangling takes so long with this super kinky hair
  • It breaks easily when soaked
  • My arms get tired
  • My legs get tired
  • I need a drink
Ugh. THE STRUGGLE.
But, looking back now, my hair grows regardless. I just need to learn how to better manage the struggles. I now detangle first with my fingers, then with the wide tooth comb and then with the small toothed comb. I know it takes longer, but its worth having less-tangled hair. I also went shopping for new products (see previous posts) to make my hair softer. Shea Moisture wasn't doing enough for me. The shampoo and conditioner are just, meh.

Although difficult, I have learned so much on my wash days over the past 1.5 years of my journey:
- To be patient
- Things are fragile
- The pain is only temporary
- The next time you face the challenge, you will be better prepared

Awesome right? How we can turn these things into positives?

Girl, when you see me with long flowing hair just know that it has been a JOURNEY. It wasn't easy. But it will all be worth it. Long, healthy hair that defies societal standards and stereotypes will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?